Claims Resources and FAQ
We Have the Service You Need
Since 1919, Rain and Hail has been a trusted provider of agricultural risk management to farmers and ranchers throughout the U.S. Our belief in bringing the best service platform means providing the best people and the best systems to support our customers. We are confident that our people and claims systems will provide reliable service and quick responses to our customers during a time they need it most.
The purpose of the following material is to promote awareness of risk management concepts and to highlight USDA’s risk management products, features, benefits and availability. This material does not change the content or the meaning of current policy provisions, filed actuarial documents or approved procedures.
- Stay in contact with your agent.
- Notify your agent within 72 hours of the initial discovery of damage.
- Continue to care for the crop and protect it against further damage, if possible.
- Obtain consent from Rain and Hail prior to destroying any of the insured crop.
- Sign up for Automated Clearing House (ACH) payments with Rain and Hail for expedited payments. View ACH Form [pdf]
- Leave test strips.
Your Division Office or Field Representative - Rain and Hail Division Office Territories [pdf]
- Atlantic Coast Division - CT, DE, ME, MD, MA, NC, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, SC, VA, VT, WV
Phone: 919.790.1537 • Toll Free: 800.252.5022
- California Division - AZ, CA
Phone: 559.224.2300 • Toll Free: 800.274.4245
- Central Division - IL, IN, MI, OH
Phone: 515.559.1100 • Toll Free: 800.342.7194
- Great Plains Division - CO, KS, NE
Phone: 402.334.5176 • Toll Free: 800.633.3550
- Midwest Division - IA, MO
Phone: 515.559.1100 • Toll Free: 800.342.7194
- Northern Division - MN, ND, SD, WI
Phone: 763.473.2421 • Toll Free: 800.328.7308
- Northwest Division - ID, MT, NV, OR, UT, WA, WY
Phone: 509.922.1401 • Toll Free: 800.967.8088
- Southern Division - AL, AR, FL, GA, KY, LA, MS, TN
Phone: 770.339.8020 • Toll Free: 800.538.8020
- Southwest Division - NM, OK, TX
Phone: 806.353.4344 • Toll Free: 800.299.4344
- ACE Agribusiness
Farm & Ranch - Phone: 515.559.1200 • Toll Free: 800.585.9624
Commercial - Toll Free: 800.233.8347
- Canada Division - AB, MB, SK
Phone: 306.584.8844 • Toll Free: 800.667.8084
Rain and Hail offers a number of quick and efficient ways for policyholders to submit claims. Starting with eNotice of Loss, available on Agent Services sites, agents can assist policyholders in quickly filing a claim. From that point, there is a possibility of expedited claims via the Express claim option.
Express claims are processed quickly within our office based on a self-certification form and supporting documentation provided by the policyholder. Claims above the Express claim threshold are automatically assigned to an adjuster once entered into the Rain and Hail system. The adjuster then works the loss. Adjusters have the ability to work losses electronically via the eAdjuster program. This program allows for quick and accurate claims processing. Claims are also electronically signed via eAdjuster, reducing the need to shuffle paperwork and allowing for quicker completion of claims and the insurance of indemnity payments.
RMA has authorized the continued use of the increased Simplified Claim Process (SCP) dollar tolerance:
- $20,000 for Optional Units
- $40,000 for Basic Units, Enterprise Units, and Whole Farm Units
For more information on the SCP procedures please reference the current Loss Adjustment Manual (LAM).
*Policyholders - please contact your agent to submit a claim
*Agents - please use Agent Services Notice of Loss to submit Policyholder’s claim
In lieu of a traditional check, policyholders also have the ability to sign up for ACH payments with Rain and Hail. ACH payments are direct deposited into a policyholder's bank account, providing the quickest form of claim payment. This process provides the policyholder funds in an expedited manner. Policyholder's can talk to their agent to sign up for this service.
- Rain and Hail maps and RH1156 report or FSA 578/Maps
- Settlement Sheets
- Load Records
- Bin Measurements
- Loss Papers
- Livestock Feeding Records
- Verifiable Precision Farming Records
- Any type of verifiable third party record that supports your reported acres and production
What is aflatoxin? - a fungus that increases in hot, dry weather.
- Samples for aflatoxin must be pulled prior to the grain being placed into storage.
- At no time can the policyholder handle, maintain, or process the grain samples.
- Only the adjuster or elevator personnel are authorized to pull grain samples for testing.
- If a producer is farm storing grain and identifies aflatoxin is present during harvest, they must contact the adjuster immediately so we can pull samples before the grain is placed into farm storage.
- Aflatoxin tests performed at the elevator CANNOT be used for quality adjustment on claims. We must have a separate sample pulled by either the adjuster or elevator personnel to be sent to an approved testing facility that conducts quantitative testing.
- The policyholder is responsible for the fees associated with the testing.
- Aflatoxin quality adjustment DOES NOT apply to silaged acres.
- Sampling needs to take place on a policy line basis.
*The above is NOT a complete list of all the quality adjustment requirements. If you should have any questions on aflatoxin, please contact your agent.
Cover Crop – A crop generally recognized by agricultural experts as agronomically sound for the area for erosion control or other purposes related to conservation or soil improvement. A cover crop may be considered to be a second crop.
Insurance shall attach to a crop following a cover crop when the cover crop meets the definition provided in the Basic Provisions, was planted within the last 12 months, and is managed and terminated according to NRCS guidelines. If growing conditions warrant a deviation from the guidelines, producers should contact either Extension or the local NRCS for management guidance.
For information on cover crop management and termination guidelines, refer to the Cover Crop Termination Guidelines located in the links below:
Cover Crop Termination Guidelines [website]
*Depending on sales closing date, please apply correct guidelines to your particular crops.
You Have a Loss. We Have the Service You Need. - Printable PDF [pdf]