Privacy Statement for California Residents
PRIVACY NOTICE FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS (EFFECTIVE ON JANUARY 1, 2020)
If you would like to go directly to the section of this notice disclosing the categories of personal information that we collect, please click here.
If you would like to exercise your rights under the California Consumer Privacy Act, please visit us at our Data Subject Request web page by clicking here or by calling us at the following toll-free telephone number 1-877-706-6867.
- Publicly available information from government records.
- Deidentified or aggregated consumer information.
- Information excluded from the CCPA’s scope, like certain health or medical information and other categories of information protected by different laws.
Categories of Personal Information We Collect & Disclose Subject to this Privacy Notice
We collect personal information about a variety of California residents, including actual and prospective policyholders, representatives of corporate policyholders, other insured persons, third party claimants, actual and prospective agents or business partners, brokers and Rain and Hail service providers. The type of personal information we collect depends on the context in which your information is collected, as well as the product or service (if any) that you have with us. The table below sets out generally the categories of personal information (as defined by the CCPA) about California residents that we may collect and disclose to others for a business purpose. We collect these categories of personal information from the sources described in the “How Do We Collect Personal Information Subject to this Privacy Notice" section below, and for the purposes described below in the "Uses of Personal Information Subject to this Privacy Notice” section. Note that our collection, use and disclosure of personal information about you will vary depending upon the circumstances and nature of our interactions or relationship with you.
About the chart below: With respect to disclosures, we may disclose personal information for business purposes to service providers, agents, regulators, auditors, counsel, consultants, reinsurers, advisors, representatives and banks. Please note that we provide appropriate administrative, technical and physical safeguards for data and generally require our service providers to provide at least the same or equal protection of user data as described in this Privacy Notice. In addition, some personal information included in the categories may overlap with other categories.
|Category||Examples||Collected||Disclosed for a business purpose(s)|
|Name, Contact Information and other Identifiers||A real name, alias, job title, address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, device IDs, Internet Protocol address, email address, date of birth, policy number, salary information, social security number, driver’s license number, other government identifiers, credit card number, and tax ID.||YES||YES|
|Customer Records||A paper or electronic customer or claimant record containing personal information, as well as information provided by a reinsurance or insurance broker/agent for underwriting purposes and information included in a list of claims, such as name, signature, physical characteristics or description, address, telephone number, education, current employment, employment history, social security number, passport number, driver’s license or state identification card number, insurance policy number, bank account number, payment card number, gender, height, weight, medical information (including reports and medical bills), or health insurance information, details about home address, security and travel plan arrangements, records of personal property, products or services purchased or obtained.||YES||YES|
|Protected Classifications||Age (40 years or older), race, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion or creed, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, and veteran or military status.||YES||YES|
|Usage Data||Internet or other electronic network activity information regarding a California resident's interaction with our portals, Internet websites, applications, or advertisements, including, but not limited to, browsing history, clickstream data, and search history.||YES||YES|
|Biometric Information (in limited circumstances in the employment context)||Individual biological or behavioral characteristics including measurements of physical characteristics such as height, weight and blood pressure, sleep, health, or exercise data that contain identifying information.||YES||YES|
|Non-Public Educational Information||Education records directly related to a student maintained by an educational or institution or party acting on its behalf, such as grades, transcripts, class lists, student schedules, student identification codes and student disciplinary records.||YES||YES|
|Geolocation Data||Physical location or movements.||NO||NO|
|Audio, Video and Other Electronic Data||Audio information including call recordings and photographs.||YES||YES|
|Professional or Employment-Related Information||Employment history, qualifications, licensing, and disciplinary record.||YES||YES|
|Inferences drawn from other personal information||Inferences drawn from any of the information described in this section about a consumer including inferences reflecting the consumer’s preferences, characteristics, behavior and abilities.||YES||YES|
How Do We Collect Personal Information Subject to this Privacy Notice
Rain and Hail collects personal information about you, your household and the members of your household to conduct business operations, provide customer service, offer new products and satisfy legal and regulatory requirements. The type of personal information we collect depends on the financial product or service (if any) that you have with us. We may collect the categories of personal information listed above from the following categories of sources:
- information from you directly or from your agent, broker or other representative, including information from applications, worksheets, questionnaires, claim forms or other documents (such as name, address, driver’s license number, Social Security number and amount of coverage requested);
- information about your transactions with us, our affiliates or others (such as products or services purchased, claims made, account balances and payment history);
- information about you from a corporate policyholder or its representatives in connection with your coverage or a claim that you may have under the corporate policyholder’s policy;
- information from a consumer reporting agency (such as motor vehicle reports);
- information from other non- Rain and Hail sources (such as prior loss information and demographic information);
- information from Rain and Hail service providers, business partners or other representatives (such as third party administrators and adjusters);
- information from visitors to our websites (such as that provided through online forms and collected through other website tools);
- information from an employer, benefit plan sponsor, benefit plan administrator or group master policyholder for any Rain and Hail individual or group insurance product that you may have (such as name, address and amount of coverage requested); and
- we may also collect information about you from public sources (such as information you submit in a public forum, a blog, chat room, or social network).
Uses of Personal Information Subject to this Privacy Notice
We may use the information we collect for a number of purposes, including:
- to provide you with, renew or modify products and services;
- to provide you with the information and documents you request and for other customer service purposes;
- to carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing, collections and payments;
- to process claims and other legal actions;
- to respond to law enforcement requests, court order or regulations, subpoena, search warrant, or other legal process, as required by applicable law;
- to deliver marketing communications or promotional materials that may be of interest to you and to assist us in determining relevant advertising;
- for advertising and marketing purposes, as well as claims assessment and actuarial purposes, we may share your information with third-party analytics providers;
- to improve the services we provide and the usefulness of our websites and mobile applications;
- to customize your experience when using our websites and mobile applications;
- to carry out actuarial analysis and develop our actuarial and pricing models;
- to perform testing, product development and research, and to analyze use of our websites and online applications;
- to prevent and detect fraud, infringements of our policies and contracts and other potential misuse of our products, services and assets;
- to assist our affiliates in their everyday business purposes;
- to provide training or organize events;
- as described to you when collecting your personal information;
- to refer you to our third party partners as part of a referral program;
- to conduct financial, tax and accounting audits, and audits and assessments of business operations or security and financial controls;
- to plan, engage in due diligence for, and implement commercial transactions; and
- to secure our offices, premises and physical assets, including through the use of electronic access systems; and
- to investigate privacy, security or employment related incidents
Sale of Personal Information Subject to this Privacy Notice
Our business practice is not to sell personal information that is subject to the CCPA even within the meaning of the broad definition of “sale” in the CCPA, and we are not selling and do not have plans to sell personal information of California residents. However, we support consumer choice regarding use of consumers’ personal information and for this reason, refer you to the “Right to Opt-out of Sales” section immediately below for more information on how to register your choice with us with regard to future uses of your personal information.
Your CCPA Rights
The CCPA provides California residents with specific rights regarding their personal information. This section describes your rights under the CCPA and explains how to exercise those rights. Subject to certain exceptions, California consumers have the right to make the following requests:
Right to Opt-out of Sales We are not selling personal information of California residents. Further, we will not sell personal information if we have actual knowledge that the consumer is less than 16 years of age, unless we receive affirmative authorization (“opt-in”) from either the consumer between 13 and 16 years of age, or the parent or guardian of a consumer less than 13 years of age.
If you would like to register your choice with regard to future uses of your personal information, please visit us at our Data Subject Request web page by clicking here and we will register your details for this purpose.
Other businesses collect information, including IP addresses, digital identifiers, information about your web browsing and app usage, and how you interact with ads in order to provide you with relevant ads across the Internet and for other analytics purposes. By visiting www.privacyrights.info or optout.privacyrights.info, you can opt out of this type of use of personal information by businesses that participate in the opt out tool. To make opt-out requests related to mobile apps on your device for businesses participating in the DAA’s CCPA App-based Opt-Out Tool, you can download the appropriate app at www.youradchoices.com/appchoices
Right to Delete You have the right to request that we delete and direct any service providers that have received that personal information to delete, the personal information that we have collected and retained, unless an exemption applies. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable request, we will delete (and, if applicable, direct our service providers to delete) your personal information from our records, unless an exemption applies.
Right to Access You have the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your personal information over the past 12 months. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable request, we will disclose to you:
- the categories of personal information we collected about you;
- the categories of sources of personal information we collected about you;
- our business or commercial purposes for collecting or selling that personal information;
- the categories of third parties with whom we have disclosed or shared that personal information; and
- the specific pieces of personal information we collected from you;
Submitting Requests You can submit a deletion or access request by either
- Accessing our Data Subject Request web page
- Calling us at 1-877-706-6867
We will respond to verifiable requests received from California residents as required by law. You can also designate an authorized agent to make a request under the CCPA on your behalf, but the agent must provide proof that the agent is authorized to make a request on your behalf.
We may ask you for additional information necessary to verify or process your request. Where applicable, we may ask for proof that an authorized agent is entitled to act on your behalf. We may also carry out checks, including with third party identity verification services, to verify your identity before taking any action with your personal information. We will endeavor to respond your verifiable requests within 45 days of receipt. If we require more time (up to 45 additional days), we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing. Any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding the verifiable consumer request receipt. Generally, California residents can exercise rights free of charge. However, if your request is manifestly unfounded or excessive, for example because it is repetitive, we are entitled to charge you a reasonable fee. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
Non-Discrimination You have the right not to receive discriminatory treatment for the exercise of the privacy rights conferred by the CCPA. We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights or impose unreasonable requirements on financial incentives offered to California consumers related to your personal information. We may offer different prices, rates, or quality of goods or services if the difference is reasonably related to the value of your personal information.
Changes in this Privacy Notice
If we decide to change this privacy notice, we will post those changes to this privacy notice, the homepage, and other places we deem appropriate so that you are aware of what information we collect, how we use it, and under what circumstances, if any, we disclose it.
We reserve the right to modify this privacy notice at any time, so please review it frequently. If we make material changes to this policy, we will notify you here, by email, or by means of a notice on our home page prior to the change becoming effective.
If you have any questions or comments about this Privacy Notice, the ways in which we collect and use your personal information, your choices and rights regarding such use, or wish to exercise your rights under California law, please do not hesitate to contact us at:
Rain and Hail L.L.C.,
Attn: Privacy Officer
9200 Northpark Drive
Johnston, IA 50131
Last Updated December, 2019